Monday, July 20, 2009

Farewell

Farewell Talk

Good morning brothers and sisters. Its great to be able to be here with you today and speak. I was asked to speak on the topic of service. I have been thinking a lot about what I was going to say today. And one thing that occurred to me that I have never really thought about before is that the structure of the church is based on service; Physical and spiritual service that often blend together. Home and Visiting Teaching, The purpose is to serve those in our ward with a spiritual message, help in anyway that we can and become a closer ward family. If we don’t know the people in our ward how can we serve them. The Priesthood, If it is not used for the purpose to better someone other than ourselves in accordance with God’s will it is in Vain. The purpose of the Priesthood is to better the Lord’s Kingdom. The Temple, it is the holiest place that we have here on this earth. Within it’s walls a great and wonderful service is done for those that have come before us. This service is perhaps the greatest thing that we can do for someone else because of it’s eternal consequences.
In Doctrine and Covenants 24: 7 it says: For thou shalt devote all thy service in Zion; and in this thou shalt have great strength.

These are some of the things that I wanted to structure my talk around.

During the blizzards that we had a few years ago I had the opportunity to have a really great experience. My friend steve and I were stranded at my house with my family because of all the snow and we were just sitting around wondering what to do. Mom with all her wisdom decided it would be a good idea to put us to work. She told us that we should go out and dig out our neighbors across the street. They were a slightly older couple and they weren’t in very good health. From earlier encounters we had gotten the impression that they didn’t like us very much. Mom thought that we should go over anyway and dig them out. So we went over and just started shoveling. About halfway through shoveling she caught us. She asked us if we were with some sort of service and I said no I just live across the street and thought you might be able to use the help. She was surprised by that a lot and thanked us. But to make a long story shorter, after we had helped them dig out that day we received a christmas card and cookies every year after that until they moved. With that simple act that, took all of an hour, we were able to help someone in need and also got to know our neighbors.

President Kimball said

" Service to others deepens and sweetens this life while we are preparing to live in a better world. It is by serving that we learn to serve. When we are engaged in the service of our fellowmen, not only do our deeds assist them, but we put our own problems in a fresher perspective. when we concern ourselves more with others, there is less time to be concerned with ourselves! in the midst of the miracle of serving, there is the promise of Jesus that by losing ourselves, we find ourselves!"

I have often found myself contemplating a problem and found the answer by forgetting myself and helping someone else. Many answers have come to me this way. By dwelling upon myself and forgetting everyone else it always seems that my problems became worse. It was by caring for others and helping them that I found peace of mind.

In Matthew 25: 35-40 it says
When we help someone it is the exact same as helping Christ.
verse 45
I hope that when I meet Christ in the last days I can tell him that I did all that I could to help those around me. If we look around us there is need of us everywhere.
In Mosiah 18: 8-9 it says
If we want to become closer to our Heavenly Father we need to serve those around us. We must be willing to as it says bear one anothers burdens. And we need to allow for others to help us with ours.
In Doctrine and Covenants 58: 27-29 it says
We must to be willing to help those around us without the prodding of someone else. If we do something for someone else begrudgingly it is the same as not doing it at all and we will be condemned for it. Help when and where you can whenever you can and you will be blessed.
In Mosiah 5: 13 it says
The savior is the greatest example of service. He came to this earth for us, that we might live with our Heavenly Father again for eternity. I can think of no greater act of service than that. If we are unwilling to help our brothers and sisters around us we can’t hope to receive those blessings. If we keep the Savior in our hearts and minds We will be able to find ways to serve those around us. I hope that we can remember what we are taught in
Joshua 24: 15
And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve, but as for me and my house we will serve the Lord.

I know that in serving those around us we can come closer to our Savior and Heavenly Father. I know that these things are true and I testify that if we search for ways to serve our fellow beings, and do so, we will have happier more fulfilling lives and we will be thanked for it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for Brady, and for the People of Peru...He will make a great missionary.

    ReplyDelete

Map of Peru

Lima Peru South Mission

Lima Peru South Mission